Saturday, January 3, 2009

Yeah! I excercised self control today! and my comitment to eating frugal...


Today we took my mother in law out for 'dunch' (dinner and lunch) b/c she was craving Mexican food. YUM! We went to Ay Carumba in Park Ridge. It was a yummy meal and I was very proud of myself for excercising portion control and not allowing myself to fill up on chips and salsa (although the salsa is FAT FREE and healthy) and I had a portion of a steak I split with Jim and 2 fajitas (on corn tortillas). No beans or rice (count up those calories saved baby!)
I was thinking (later of course) that we have such an abundance of everythting in this world and the first thing that comes to mind is obviously food. I know in this country 'we' as a nation are blessed, but my family is blessed beyond belief. As I have been thinking about the crab legs we indulged in on new years eve, i find it amazing that we have so much. I feel like my family wastes SO much food every week. I go to the store and place all of the food 'wants' and 'ideas of meals' into my cart and walk out without a second thought. i don't purchase the store brand all the time, nor do i worry about the price of too many things in my cart. i also don't worry a week later when i open the fridge and wonder why i didn't make half the things i purchased and why the $4.00 buttermilk is sour after I used the 1/4 cup i needed for that 'one' recipe.
i have been wondering this week about the reason why these things don't bother me, and the only resaon I can come up with is desentisization. I have become desensitized to the needs that others have. yeah, i know about the food crisis in other countries and it breaks my heart when i see, hear or think of the suffering, but that is not what i'm talking about. i think i am numb to the fact there are real people and real families here in our country, in our state, in our, my, city that are not as blessed as my family is.
so now here is the verb part.... what am i going to do about it? truth is, i'm not really sure. yeah, of course i have ideas, but when you don't have the time, tools and resources to make thoughts turn into plans then turn to action, it is still, well, just an idea.
so i have an idea (and i'll call it what it is. for now at least), that i want to try, and i know it's not going to help another family eat this week (at least not right away) but it is a step that i need, my family needs, to start becoming more aware.
so stay tuned... i will lay out my plan this week. in action of course.
have a great evening readers.
nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment