Friday, February 22, 2008

heaven's gate

I was shocked, confused, bewildered
As I entered Heaven's door,
Not by the beauty of it all,
Nor the lights or its decor
But it was the folks in Heaven
Who made me sputter and gasp
The thieves, the liars, the sinners,
The alcoholics and the trash
There stood the kid from seventh grade
Who swiped my lunch money twice.
Next to him was my old neighbor
Who never said anything nice
Herb, who I always thought
Was rotting away in hell,
Was sitting prett y on cloud nine,
Looking incredibly well
I nudged Jesus, "What's the deal?
I would love to hear Your take.
How'd all these sinners get up here?
God must've made a mistake
"And why's everyone so quiet,
So somber - give me a clue."
"Hush, child," He said, "they're all in shock.
No one thought they'd be seeing you."
JUDGE NOT.

the condition of a heart. it's such a loaded statement. we talk of the 'condition of our hearts' in so many ways. our heart as a muscle. our heart as our source of emotion. our heart as our guide. what is the condition of my heart, i wonder? i don't think i have taken the time to get to know my heart. i need to. the bible says the heart is desperately wicked, who can know it? i want to give my heart to god, to help me know it, to guide me through the life he wants it to live. to feel to grow. to give my heartach to him when its to much for me to hold on to. i want a healthy heart, free of judgement. so i will give and try to be patient when i let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment